Saturday, January 8, 2011

ode to drew

Today, my littlest nephew turns one year old. And, oh Lordy have I been hit by a wave of sentimentality. Drew's mommy and I were pregnant at the same time and had our kiddos two weeks apart. What this means, dear friends, is that I am TWO weeks away from having a ONE YEAR OLD child. Oh goodness. But today is about Drew (and my mom too, who graciously shared her birthday with him) so I need to get myself together to celebrate him.

Dear Drew,
It is your first birthday today. You have learned an astounding amount of things in these first 365 days of your life with us. You are seriously impressive! You are walking, talking, laughing, making jokes, eating, exploring, loving, learning, and growing. You seem to be a happy person and that makes my heart so glad. From what I can see, you are a lot like your daddy. You move all the time and seem genuinely glad most of time. Sometimes things don't seem to turn out the way you expect them to, but it looks like you consider that to be an opportunity, rather than a frustration. This is so good. I hope you always keep your pioneering spirit and zest for life.
Most of all I want to tell you that you are loved. I remember the day your mommy told me that you were on your way. I could hear the love in her voice. Your mommy and daddy were so happy and so excited to welcome you to the family. I look forward to the time we will spend together, and especially to watching the growing friendship you have with your cousin Cordelia.
I hope you dig into your cake and that you enjoy the love of your family today and every day.
with a BIG HUGE birthday hug,
Aunt Jennifer

No comments: