Tuesday, December 30, 2008

hiatus

Hello BLOGFANS
Merry Christmas, and soon.... HAPPY NEW YEAR!  I have had a non-stop lineup of to-do's in the last few weeks.  At first, it was all about THE MOVE.  Then it was wedding planning catchup.  Then, snow and travel and hurry up Christmas shopping.  Now I am back, almost.  I have a little stomach bug that is keeping me away from work (as you might imagine, we are VERY careful about germs in the cancer care world).  I feel pretty marginal, but I am able to catch up on a few wedding planning things from my computer in between installments of cups of tea and plain toast.  Doug comes home from his part of the travels tonight just in time for Oliver's FIFTH birthday celebration.  Happy Birthday to my sweet pup!  How is it that he has reached five years old so darn fast?

To recap on the long hiatus in a few easy steps: 

1) Doug and I are now happily ensconced in his condo, living in sin.  The condo is cosy (tight!) but is not busting at the seams the way we thought it might.  Thank goodness.  What we are noticing about this housing arrangement, however, is how URBAN it is.  We are constantly longing for a quieter, more spacious, less populated place of our own.  We are nervous about the real estate market, but are trying to keep our wits about us and take it one step at a time. And the good news?  We really love living together.  Living in sin is awesome.

2)  SNOW.  The entire Pacific Northwest was inundated with snow a week plus before Christmas.  We fared well because of my super SUBARU, Ruby.  Even though she is 12 years old, she is still the biggest snow champ in the entire metro area.  Actually, I miss the snow now that it's melted.  (I know I just got about a zillion virtual snowballs thrown at me!).

3)  Christmas + engagement party.  Doug and I left the pooch with his Christmas girlfriend (our new best friend, Monica!) and flew to Santa Barbara to celebrate the holidays with my side of the family.  I swear we were the last plane to leave SEATAC in the midst of pouring down snow.  We had a beautiful Christmas in SB and for the first time in a LONG time I was able to attend Christmas Eve worship with my family.  That was sweet, especially having my sweetie by my side.  On the 27th, my parents threw D and I an engagement party with all our SB loved ones in attendance.  Many of Doug's loved ones were able to join us (we missed Doug's Dad & Susie due to being snowed in - boo hoo.).  It was a lovely dessert, champagne and time together time.  In the morning over french toast our families extended the visit.  That was super double sweet.  That was when we especially missed Doug's Dad and Susie.

4)  NOW.  Now I am feverishly (kinda literally) catching up.  There are invitations to finalize, bridesmaids dresses to order, hotels to book, and I don't even know what else.  Mary, my trusty sidekick, is keeping me in line.  Or at least she's standing with me in the chaos.  What more could I want?

5)  A beautiful poem I meant to post a while ago.....

little tree
by  E.E. Cummings

little tree
little silent Christmas tree
you are so little
you are more like a flower

who found you in the green forest
and were you very sorry to come away?
see i will comfort you
because you smell so sweetly

i will kiss your cool bark
and hug you safe and tight
just as your mother would,
only don't be afraid

look      the spangles
that sleep all the year in a dark box
dreaming of being taken out and allowed to shine,
the balls the chains red and gold the fluffy threads,

put up your little arms
and i'll give them all to you to hold
every finger shall have its ring
and there won't be a single place dark or unhappy

then when you are quite dressed
you'll stand in the window for everyone to see
and how they'll stare!
oh but you'll be very proud

and my little sister and i will take hands 
and looking up at our beautiful tree
we'll dance and sing
"Noel Noel"



No comments: